Thursday, August 25, 2011

Impending doom

Today is August 25th. I have a feeling of impending doom. Earlier this summer we had that tornado in Springfield (MA). A couple of days ago we had an earthquake. Now hurricane Irene is heading this way.
My daughter got her driver's license a half an hour ago. "I see trouble on the way..."

I can hear CCR's "Bad Moon Rising" in my head.

update August 27th:

"I hear earthquakes and lightnin'..."
Just got back from Madison, Connecticut. We had to stormproof my wife's grandfather's (Grandpa Ben) cottage.
We covered the windows and pushed the grill between the shed and the fence. There was definitely a calm before the storm. Air was humid.
"I fear rivers overflowing..."
There might be some flooding...it is a low lying area about half a mile from the ocean. I am sure the cottage can survive the wind. One of the neighbors clearly wasn't feeling as confident about his cottage. He was emptying his cottage. He put everything in a rented truck and hauled it away. This cottage got destroyed by the 1938 hurricane like everything else in the area. Only the icebox and the floor survived. Grandpa Ben picked up the pieces and rebuilt it.
"I hear Hurricanes ablowing..."
The eye of the hurricane is in New Jersey right now. There are some tornado warnings down there. Things are gonna get pretty nasty in next few hours.

Update August 28th

8:45 AM We finally lost electricity.
9:30 AM I woke up and went to the front porch to check out the situation. I didn't see any flooding on my street. It was pouring though.... I guess you could call that torrential rain.
I was ready for breakfast. I was thinking whether I should I start the wood stove or get the camping stove from the cellar?
10:30 AM Yeah. The electricity came back. I am starting to make oatmeal and tea. The wife is checking the news from southern Connecticut. The situation down there looks pretty bad. They have some flooding. The newscasters are comparing this to the 1938 hurricane. Ouch!
Up here in Massachusetts we do have rain but no wind yet.
"And I wonder still I wonder who'll stop the rain"
John Fogerty sure has captured the mood of the day.
5:30 PM The wind finally came, but it didn't amount to much. I drove around town to see if there was anything to see. Some small branches were down. Ron's fields on Glendale Street had been turned into Ron's lake. I guess we survived Irene.

Update August 31st

We might have survived Irene, but our neighbors in Vermont got hit really hard. The rivers are really overflowing up there. I haven't been able to get to Madison,Ct. to see if the cottage survived. Too many roads down in Connecticut are still closed. Also too many electric lines are down. This coming weekend is a long weekend. Hopefully then we can cruise down and survey the damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment