Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Earthquake, August 23rd 2011

About half an hour ago my house was shaking. My wife was making lunch and the stove was moving enough to bump her hip. The house was gently rocking and swaying. There was no sound. In the past when I have experienced minor earthquakes there has been some kind of cracking sound, but this one was silent. I felt kind of dizzy. I have felt this kind of movement in the past in boats - never inside a house. After the movement stopped I looked into the dining room and the crystals in the chandelier were still swinging. Wow! This was pretty cool.
I turned on the TV. MSNBC reported an 5.9 earthquake in Virginia. According to MSNBC The Pentagon and the Capitol were being evacuated and the quake was felt in Manhattan. Well, the quake was felt in Western Massachusetts too.

A couple of hours later I saw on TV that the reporters were waiting for the President to make a comment. President Obama was vacationing at Martha's Vineyard so he probably felt the quake too.
Do we really need a comment? What is he gonna say? "Let me be clear: My administration has always strongly opposed earthquakes." ???
There has been no major damage and no casualties. Let Obama enjoy his vacation. Let Joe Biden handle this.

No comments:

Post a Comment