Friday, December 26, 2014

Those Godless Americans

Today is December 26th. In Finland and in much of the civilized world it is the second Christmas Day. Read the following Wikipedia article, please!
Today was supposed to be one of those rare days when I could actually sleep late, take it easy and enjoy the the peace, good will and quiet usually associated with Christmas. However, I was rudely awakened at 8:30am by loud banging and strange swirling machinery sounds. Usually ear damaging noises in my neighborhood can be explained by my neighbors using their leaf blowers, but this was something else. Two houses down a huge group of roofers were removing the roofing shingles! WTF?!?!
   I really should not be that surprised about this, as I do live in the United States - a country that does dot celebrate the Second Christmas Day. That is strange, because most American politicians (especially the Southern and the conservative ones) claim that the US is a christian country. In most of the civilized world Christmas (the birthday of our savior) is such a big holiday, that one day observation just isn't enough. So if the United States really is a christian country, please prove it! Stay home on December 26th and let me sleep!

P.S. In Finland (and many other civilized countries) we have two Easter days also.

In spite of my rude awakening this morning I still have some Christmas Spirit left. Therefore I am attaching a link to a cool new Christmas song that My friend Markojuhani Rautavaara and Kuunkuiskaajat (a folk duo) made.

As I pointed out in my last blog entry Marko was the lead singer in Kärsäräkä (Snoutsnot).
Last summer when I was in Finland we started to talk about possible Kärsäräkä re-union.
The re-union plans are starting to look good, even though we haven't been able to locate our bass player Olli yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment