Sunday, April 21, 2013

Unwrapping Pearl marching toms...

I dug out my old heatgun and started to heat the wrap.  First I was heating the seam area where the wrap overlaps itself. I had hoped that the intense heat from the heatgun would just melt the adhesive and I could just peel the wrap away. It didn't work out that way. Whatever adhesive Pearl was using was holding its own. I had to cut through the wrap with my pocket knife. This time I did not stab myself.


After that I started heatgunning the wrap while at the same time pushing a spatula between the shell and the wrap. It worked. It was more time consuming than I expected, but 3 out of those 4 Pearl toms are now unwrapped.

 I had originally hoped to be able to save the old wrap in one piece. If I ever wanted to re-wrap the drums I could have just used the old wrap as a stencil and trace it on new wrap material. As you can see below the old wrap came off mostly in small pieces that can't be used for anything.

Next step is to remove the adhesive residue that is sticking very aggressively.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment